A Kingdom of Isolation....A Covid-19 Diary (Part 1)

else alone in her ice castle

So unless you're living on one of those islands where the native folks have never had contact with other human beings, you know that the current state of the world is in a word, chaotic. The US, along with several other countries are seeing numbers of citizens catching the Corona Virus, with medical systems being overwhelmed with the numbers of sick and dying.

Thankfully as I write this, I have not been knowingly exposed, and no one I know has been or has tested positive, or even showing symptoms. It helps that Chauncey and I have been essentially been quarantined at home for over two weeks at this point. Neither of us have been in the office since the 11th of March, although that weekend Chauncey did go up north for his annual "Man Day" weekend. And I went the geek cave on Saturday to record an episode of the Social Sci-Fi Podcast, and that Sunday was my mom's birthday so I was at her house for a small get together.

a Dalmatian puppy
Mom's new service dog, Nash

Of course at that point we still had no idea just how bad things were going to get. From the 16th to the 22nd I didn't leave the house, except to the mailbox and down the laundry room. I ran to my mom's quickly on the 23rd to get my sewing machine that's been living at her house. I've got a ton of projects going and I figured if I'm stuck at home I might check off a thing or two. I also went out for another short while on the 24th to get a prescription and few grocery items (we had stocked up like we normally do before Chauncey went away). We went under a "stay at home" directive from the governor starting on the 25th, so Hoosiers aren't supposed to be out unless they have to for things like essential work, food/groceries, going to the doctor, etc.

Chauncey and I are very fortunate that we can work from home, do we can both collect a paycheck. And we've got plenty of other things to keep us occupied during non-working hours including said sewing projects, a super exciting secret project we're developing for Cyutil, plus I've been coloring up a storm with my stack of "grown-up" coloring books.


At this point we have no idea how long we'll be stuck at home, the order from the governor is for two weeks from the point of when it went into effect. K-12 schools are closed through May 1st. I know in the grand scheme of things, we're in a decent position with our jobs and access to entertainment and provisions. In the meantime, maybe I'll actually blog more often? I've got the time....

Comments

Popular Posts