Blogger Spotlight! A Geeky Girl Without A Box

Brittany over at AGGWAB is a fellow Whovian (I know, what are the odds!) whom I also met through listening to Traveling The Vortex (again, what are the odds *wink*).

Brittany from A Geeky Girl Without A Box

Tell us a little about yourself….

Hello, I’m Brittany! As you most likely can tell by the name of my blog, I am a geeky girl. I was born in New Jersey, and have moved so many times since then. I grew up mainly in New Jersey, Arizona, and in Florida. My childhood was a bit chaotic. It definitely had it is ups and downs. It is kind of hard to describe my younger years, for many reasons, but I can say I was an odd child, especially since I wasn’t strictly a “girly girl” or a “tom boy.  I liked what I liked, it didn’t matter really what it was, which is still true to this day.


 I recent moved to New Mexico to be closer to my mom and younger sister, whom I haven’t seen in over 7 years. I am currently unemployed (Joy….), but I spend most of my days and hours volunteering at my town’s public library, mainly in the Children’s Library.


What inspired you to first start writing your blog?

I have always loved writing when I was younger. Writing short stories and essays were some of my favorite school projects. I had a somewhat of a rough childhood, so writing, like reading, became kind of like an escape for me. You could always see me writing something on paper. Also I find verbalizing my thoughts and opinions really hard to do, so writing became a tool to help express those things.


Then I started to surf the web, and found blog after blog. I enjoyed most of what I read, and it was nice to read about people loving (and sometimes hating) the same things I did, which wasn’t always the case outside of the internet. So I decided to try out. I have started a few blogs before, but they usually ‘died’ after 2 or 3 posts. Then I started the blog I have now, back in November 2012, I was determined to make this one last. I currently have 104 posts and counting, which I know may not be that impressive, but for me I am quite proud.


What was your first post? How do you think your blog has changed since you first started blogging?


My first post was a “Welcome to my Blog” post, with one of my all-time favorite fan made Doctor Who video. My first actually, shall we say “Real”, blog post, was my two cents about the “When to put up Christmas Decorations” debate. The reason is that I was listening to a podcast, most likely the boys over at “Traveling The Vortex” on one of their many tangents, and they were discussing about said debate. So I thought “Why not?”


I think my blog has changed a lot since I started out, which was nearly a year and a half ago. I am a more confident blogger, I think. Also when I first started out, most of my posts were either Celebrity Birthday Shout Outs, or announcing my next Photo Challenge. Now I have been writing more in-depth posts, ones that actually make me think. I know there is room for improvement, but that is some of the fun, right?


What is something unique about your blog?

The most unique thing about my blog, I have to say is my point of view of things. I know that is a bit cliché to say, but there you go.  I do run a monthly photo challenge, which I don’t think most bloggers do. I also do a segment called “Nostalgic Nugget”. I know that some people do write about nostalgia, but my memories of certain things are, obviously, going to be different then others.


What is your favorite part about blogging?


I have to say my favorite part about the whole blogging experiences would have to be; knowing that people read and enjoy my blog, and not for any egotistical reasons, though I do get a little excited when I see the page views up. The main reason is that, I hope that when people read my posts, they don’t feel as alone as they did before. When I was growing up, and even to this day, my interests were usually quite different than many of my peers in school. You have to admit, that it might be harder to enjoy things when no one else seems to like it.  Then I started finding blogs online, that made me feel like I was so alone with my opinions. So I hope I have made at least one person feel like they belong somewhere.


What are your plans for the future of your blog?


I have quite a few plans for the future. I can’t reveal them all right now, due to either I want them to stay secret, or I am not sure if I will actually get to do them. I do plan on writing more reviews on some of my favorite (and some of my non favorite), movies, shows, books, etc. I also plan on writing about my personal history, so people can see how I became the person I am now. That one is going to be a bit of a challenge, because it is hard for me to publicly open up on more personal things.


If money and time were no object, what is something you’d want to do or somewhere you’d want to go to blog about?

Well, something I always dreamed about doing was traveling the world. I think it would be real fun and a great learning experience. I mean I could read, or watch documentaries, about the different countries, but it is honestly not the same. I would blog about the people I meet, and compare the different life styles, and work on my photography. 

Brittany from A Geeky Girl Without A Box

Where can we STALK you?


 My Blog:  http://ageekygirlwithoutabox.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: @GeekGirl1990
My Tumblr: http://ageekygirlwithoutabox.tumblr.com/
My Instagram Username: BriGranger1990
My Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6100169-brittany-granger
If you like Doctor Who, I run a group over on Facebook called “A Whovian Gang.” Come join the fun: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258519787663495/



Comments

Popular Posts