Hello #13!

The Regeneration Cycle
The Cycle Begins

Yesterday the internet exploded upon itself when the BBC announced who would be playing the newest incarnation of The Doctor on Doctor Who. When Peter Capaldi announced his intention to leave the show after 3 seasons, speculation ran wild on whom might fill the Time Lord's shoes. Everyone from Rupert Grint to Kris Marshall was mentioned, but of course the powers over at the BBC were keeping their lips tightly shut. That is until yesterday, when after the men's singles final at Wimbledon that the news dropped.


The Doctor is going to be regenerating into a woman! Yes, Jodie Whittaker has been cast as the first ever cannon (*coughs* Curse of the Fatal Death *coughs*) female Doctor. While I'm still rather upset at Capaldi leaving, there's always a part of me that's thrilled when new faces come to the show because they bring with them new stories and personalities. I've never been opposed to a female Doctor, especially after the brilliant performance by Michelle Gomez as the female version of the Master, Missy. But with this being the day and age of the internet, people have gotten their knickers in a twist.

"Political correctness" "Feminist agenda" "So Doctor Who is committing suicide via SJW retardation" "I will darken by TV come this Christmas and not watch this bullshit as the Doctor is destroyed" and it goes on and on and on.....


The irony is that Doctor who is based on change, evolution, accepting others when they are different, embracing the unknown, yet these sold called "fans" are ready to dump a show that has a 50+ year history at the drop of a hat because the Doctor is now female. Give me a break! I'm thrilled that they hired a woman, and not just because I'm a woman myself, but because it'll be FUN and DIFFERENT! Maybe the writers want to challenge themselves? Oh my! And for those complaining that Doctor Who is getting too political and SJW, Doctor Who has been political since the beginning. So if you're leaving Doctor Who JUST because the Doctor is now a woman.....


Now I don't know anything about Jodie (I know I really need to go and watch Broadchurch) but from what I understand she's a capable actress. Sure her first season might not be perfect (no season of Doctor Who ever is), because we're not only starting with a new Doctor, but also a new showrunner in Chris Chibnall and a new companion (who is yet to be announced). But if the episodes are written and directed well, then I'm sure it will be another enjoyable season.

Like I said earlier, I'm not excited just because they cast a woman Doctor, but I'll admit that there is part of me that is excited because she will be female. With today's climate, even after years and years of fighting, women are still fighting for equality. In media, the majority of women still get portrayed as mothers, nurses, other caregivers and playing second fiddle to the male leads. But recently we're seeing a shift: Peggy Carter, Rey in Star Wars, Wonder Woman, and now The Doctor. Girls and women are being shown strong leads, women who stand up for what they believe in and fight the good fight. I hope that the writers at Doctor Who still write the Doctor has the character has always been, with these same traits, it just so happens that the face speaking those words will be female.

I'll leave this little rant with this video I found on Twitter yesterday evening, which pretty sums up WHY a female Doctor is important.

Comments

Popular Posts