Last Night Was Weird!

Last night, the hubby and I drove up to Wabash to see Weird Al during his 'Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour' The concert was at the Honeywell Center, which the Ford Theater reminded me of my high school auditorium.



This tour is unlike previous shows that I've seen Al do (this is my 5th time seeing him). But I knew that going in, as Al said when the tour was announced:

"By design, it has extremely limited appeal. Instead of doing festivals, fairs and arenas, we’ll be doing small, intimate theatres. Instead of putting on a big flashy production, we’ll be trying to go for something very informal and low-key… kind of an Unplugged/Storytellers vibe. Like we’re just hanging out, playing in your living room. So if you’ve really got your heart set on seeing fat suits and Segways and hearing all your favorite parodies… this probably isn’t the tour for you. Chances are we’ll be doing that kind of show again sometime in the future, just not THIS time." Weird Al

As a HUGE Weird Al fan (I did ask him out my prom after all), I had no problem with the lack of costumes and parodies. Granted some of the songs I knew better than others, but I still sung along the entire time. The set list is different every show, which makes sense considering how large his music catalog is, even once you take out the parodies*. The vibe was definitely more calm, unlike the more party atmosphere at previous shows. But everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I saw lots of Hawaiian shirts.

Set list
Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
Traffic Jam
Generic Blues
My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder
Good Enough For Now
Craigslist
Close But No Cigar
Airline Amy
CNR
One Of Those Days
I'm So Sick Of You
Don't Download This Song
I Remember Larry
She Never Told Me She Was A Mime
Christmas At Ground Zero
The Biggest Ball of Twine In Minnesota
Unplugged Medley: Eat It/I Lost On Jeopardy/Amish Paradise/Smells Like Nirvana/White & Nerdy/I Love Rocky Road/Like A Surgeon
Secret Never Before Heard Cover
The Saga Begins

*There's a spreadsheet on Reddit that is keeping track of every song that's been sung during the tour.






Emo Philips was a fun opening act (Al normally doesn't have an opening act so this in itself was unique). Chauncey and I made sure to watch UHF the night before. 


I wish I had a chance to see this tour again, just to see and hear for myself some of the other songs that are in rotation. But alas, it's not in the cards for now. But as Al says in 'The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota'..."but at least we got our memories."

Comments

Popular Posts