Thursday's Treasures: My Christmas List

So Thanksgiving is in a week and so is the "official" kickoff of the holiday season. Since many people don't begin their shopping till Black Friday (or as many of the stores are doing Black Thanksgiving Evening) they're usually using this time to make their list of what they're buying and for whom. Normally I wouldn't make a list of what I want, I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to gifts, but I figured what the heck, Santa might read my blog right?

Gift cards: A tried and true favorite, some might say that cash and/or gift cards give the impression that one didn't put much thought into a gift but really they can be one of most versatile gifts one could give. It allows the recipient to purchase what they want (and if it's clothing in their size) while still appreciating that you thought of them whenever they utilize whatever it is they bought. Some of my favorite stores include: Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, MACVon Maur, H&M, and Old Navy.




Books: I love to read, although the cost of books can hit the wallet pretty hard (yes I know I could go to the library and get books to read for free but I like having them to re-read over and over again which I tend to do). That and they take up a lot of room, which is why something like a Nook or Kindle would help alleviate, but while they are good for novels I also like collecting more "artistic" books which I think are better in the physical form.





















Movies/DVDs: We have Netflix, however I can't always find the movie I want available for live streaming PLUS if you do get it via the mail service it's usually just the movie, if there are other disks with special features you usually have to get them separately if you can at all. I'm a BIG fan of the special features that are included on many DVDs nowadays, the more behind-the-scenes stuff the better (one of the prizes of my DVD collection is a boxed set of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, 12 disks total, 4 disks per movie (2 disks for the feature film and then 2 disks of nothing but special features!) The one caveat is that many of the special features are starting to become available only on Blu-Ray so if you don't have a Blu-Ray player you might get disappointed.

Harry Potter Ultimate Editions 
(I have films 1-4 in the 2-disk "special editions" but those copies are still missing many of the extras that are on these 3-disk editions. I wish WB would just release a boxed set similar to my Lord of the Rings set)








(Right now there is only a 2-disk special edition available for Deathly Hallows part 1, we'll have to see if they release an Ultimate Edition.)


Blu-Ray Player



Now you might be asking, "Rachel, what about a copy of Deathly Hallows Part 2?' Well I have a good reason for not listing it above, that is because I already purchased a copy at Target


I purchased this particular copy because it contains a 45 minute documentary that can only be found on this particular set than can only be purchased at Target. However, the documentary and all the other special features are ONLY on the Blu-Ray disks, the standard DVD that comes with the set is only the feature film and nothing else. Now if I hadn't been in a hurry I would have read on the package that it said that the special features were on the Blu-Ray disks, however it probably wouldn't have stopped me because I really want the documentary. But that leaves me with DVDs I can't watch because we don't have a Blu-Ray player. We were planning on getting one eventually, but like I said earlier, many of the DVDs coming out almost force you to have a way of playing Blu-Ray if you want to watch the special features, hence the need for a Blu-Ray player.

DSLR Camera: Last year I purchased a Sony Cybershot HX1 hybrid digital camera. Now don't get me wrong, I love this camera. I shoots like a SLR but it doesn't use/have interchangeable lenses so in a way it's like a point-and-shoot, I like to call it my point-and-shoot on steroids. However as we travel and I take more pictures I find that I sometimes wish for the ability to have other lenses for different shooting scenarios. Now I have no plans on becoming a professional photographer, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to say a Cannon Rebel or something similar.






So what do you want for Christmas? Have you been naughty or nice? Will Santa be bringing you what you want this year?
















Comments

Popular Posts